At the completion of this meeting, participants will be able to:
- Understand how to apply the most recent clinical practice guidelines about glycemic goals, including 2022 Medicare Payment Rules, to safely improve inpatient management of hyperglycemia.
- Assess the utility of blood glucose monitoring, continuous glucose monitoring, pens, pumps, automated insulin delivery systems, and other hardware in the critical care and non-critical care units.
- Understand how to use electronic insulin dose calculation software.
- Use mobile apps and telehealth to extend the capabilities of hospital professionals.
- Recognize the importance of hypoglycemia in hospitalized patients and learn ways to avoid it.
- Achieve better glycemic control in: A) the preoperative and perioperative periods; B) during the transition from critical to non-critical care; and C) following discharge to avoid readmission.
- Select safe diabetes medications for inpatient use.
- Implement best practices for nursing care.